Monday, October 10, 2011
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
My quest to find casseroles my family will actually eat continues! Personally, I love the idea of a casserole. Having your protein, vegetables, dairy and grain all neatly packaged in one 9 X 13 baking dish simplifies those chaotic hours before dinner needs to be on the table. I especially like serving casserole type dishes on Mondays. I feel like it helps me ease into the week. We tried this recipe from Southern Living last week and it was a huge hit! I adapted it slightly and prepared it last Sunday night. On Monday night, I took it straight out of the fridge and threw it in the oven. Definitely give it a try!
Prep Ahead Plan: Make the casserole up to 2 days ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to bake!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red pepper, diced
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
meat from one rotisserie chicken, diced
12 flour tortillas
3 cups shredded cheddar and monterey jack blend cheeses
1. Saute pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender (about 5 minutes).
2. Stir in cumin and flour and cook about 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth and sour cream and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add in chicken and stir to blend.
5. Spray a 9 X 13 dish with cooking spray.
6. Arrange 4 tortillas in the bottom of the pan. Top with 1/3 chicken mixture and then one cup of cheese. Repeat tortilla, chicken mixture, cheese layers 2 more times (ending with cheese).
7. Cover and bake at 350 degrees fro 45 minutes. Serve with salsa!
Follow the make ahead directions and freeze the pan after preparing. When you're ready to bake it, remove it from freezer and bake (covered) for one hour and 15 minutes.