Thursday, September 29, 2011
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Cream Sauce
It's so easy for me to get stuck in a routine, rotating several different prep ahead recipes from week to week. Sometimes it's easier to stick to what you know. My oldest critic called me out on it a few weeks ago and I (although thoroughly annoyed by the sass) decided to branch out.
Chicken cordon bleu! I can't believe I have never made this before. So ridiculously easy to throw together with restaurant quality results. It's a keeper!
Prep Ahead Plan: I prepared the chicken the night before and refrigerated the baking dish overnight. The sauce took about 10 minutes to prepare on the stove. I made it while the chicken cooked but you could easily make it ahead of time and heat it in the microwave.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
(I doubled the recipe and there were no leftovers!!!)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thinly sliced)
Salt and pepper
4 slices of deli ham
6 slices of swiss cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
4 small pats of butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Lay the chicken out and pound with a mallet if you find they are not thin enough. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Lay one slice of ham and one slice of swiss cheese on each piece of chicken. Roll up and secure with toothpick. Place rolled chicken in baking dish.
3. Brush each chicken roll with egg and top with 1/2 a slice of swiss cheese. Roll chicken in bread crumbs.
4. Put a small pat of butter on top of each chicken roll before baking.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Lemon Cream Sauce
1 can condensed chicken soup (or mushroom soup)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
water for thinning sauce (about 1/2 cup)
1. Place soup, sour cream and lemon in a sauce pan and heat through. Add enough water until you get the consistency you want for the sauce.