adapted from Southern Living's Fix it and Forget it Slow Cooker Magic
I'm always looking for new slow cooker recipes. Even in the summertime, slow cooker meals are served weekly! Here is a great one to try out this weekend! The original recipe says to cook it on low for 7 hours. Luckily I was home and checked it after 4 hours. It seemed to be done so I switched it to warm, let it sit until dinner and it was perfect. I'm afraid the full 7 hours would turn the rice into mush!
Prep Ahead Plan: Mix all ingredients (except broccoli) in the slow cooker and store in the fridge until you are ready to turn it on!
Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 c long grain and wild rice, uncooked
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 10.75 oz can fat-free, low-sodium cream of chicken soup
- meat from one cooked rotisserie chicken
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
- 16 oz bag frozen broccoli, thawed
- ground black pepper to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
1. Place all ingredients in the slow cooker except for broccoli.
2. Cook on low for 4 hours. During the last hour, stir in thawed broccoli and sprinkle individual serving with desired amount of crushed red pepper.