This is a great prep ahead family breakfast that my mom has been making for years. We love to serve this on Sunday mornings with a side of oven bacon(see the directions for oven bacon below). Leftovers can be kept in the fridge and reheated in the microwave during the week. Delicious!
12 slices white bread, crust trimmed, cut into cubes (9 cubes per slice)
1/2 lb. grated sharp cheddar
2 2/3 cups milk
3/4 t salt
dash of paprika
1/4 1b melted butter
dash of pepper
1. Melt butter and spread some on the bottom of a 9 x 13 dish.
2. Layer bread cubes and cheese ending with cheese last.
3. Pour remaining butter over layers.
4. Whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings and pour over bread and cheese.
5. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes*.
*Allow to set for about 15 minutes before slicing. I always let it sit on the counter while I make some oven bacon. In my opinion, this is the BEST way for parents of small children to make bacon! No more worrying about spattering grease from frying pans burning the child clinging to your leg! See simple directions below if you're not familiar with oven bacon.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. On a broiler pan, fit as many pieces of bacon as you can on the broiler pan without having them overlap.
3. Bake for 17-20 minutes.