We recently spent a week in Lake George with my husband's family and had these yummy burritos one night. Our car was fully packed with duffel bags, floaties, beach chairs, toys and at the very bottom of the pile was my slow cooker!
We have a couple of vacations planned this summer and in my opinion, it is so much easier to dine in. We're not completely opposed to dining out with our three little ones but showing up at a restaurant for an early dinner with a gaggle of raucous though well-dressed nursery-school children is an unpredictable experience. One we like to skip while vacationing. SO...we planned our prep ahead meals and were able to enjoy the beach and pool into the later hours of the afternoon!
Slow Cooker Beef Burritos
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
1 (3-4 pound) beef roast cut in half
1 large red onion
½-1cup cup water or beef broth
1. In a bowl, combine the seasonings* and mix well.
2. Slice onion into rings and place on the bottom of the slow cooker.
3. Pour the ½ cup of water or broth on top of the onions.
4. Place both halves of the roast in the slow cooker and cover all sides the spice mixture.
5. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8-10.
6. Using 2 forks, shred the beef.
7.. Serve with large flour tortillas and any topping you choose. We add black beans, salsa, cheese and rice on top of the shredded beef and roll it all up in our tortilla!
*If you don't have all of those herbs/ spices on hand substitute them all for one packet of taco seasoning.